Udaipur City Palace
Udaipur, the royal house of Mewar, has two reasons to be proud of. The first is that it can trace back its recorded history to Bapa Rawal. The second is in remaining Hindu and not losing honour to the Muslims.
It has a profusion of palaces, lakes, temples and cenotaphs. The City Palace now a museum, is a labyrinth of courtyards, richly decorated with inlaid mirror-work, galleries covered with frescos, temples and kiosks. One can see the Pinchola Lake from here. An island on the lake houses the elegant Jog Nivas and another island known as Jag Mandir, which is worth a visit at sunset.
In the old town lies the Jagdish Temple, built in the mid-17th century, having a remarkable bronze statue of Garuda, facing the revered Lord Vishnu. It is well worth a visit to see how the decoration of tie-and-dye and textile block-printing is done. In the south of the City Palace Museum is situated the Zanana Mahal which was built for the women of the royal harem of Maharaja Karan Singh in 1620.