Church Kanyakumari, also known as the Roman Catholic Church of our Lady of Ransom, was built in the 19th century. In fact, this is an old church called Thommai Palhi (St. Thomas Church) at Kanyakumari, northeast of Cape Point. It is now in ruins and the foundation of the old Church is visible beside Lady of Ransom.
This extremely beautiful Roman Catholic Church is a tall white structure surrounded by scenic beauty. The splendid stained glass window in the church portrays the story of St. Thomas and the central hall has 14 wooden plaques depicting scenes from the last days of Christ. In the cathedral is a 3 feet high statue of the Virgin Mary which is believed to have been brought from Portugal in 1543.
According to legend, St. Thomas, the apostle of Christ, had visited India in 52 A.D. After his death he was interned at San Thome beach where a church was later built. In 1606, the Church was rebuilt as a cathedral. Then, in 1896, it was made a basilica.