Chapora Fort of Goa is located on the south bank of the Chapora River. It was built by Adil Shah of Bijapur.
Chapora Fort, also known as ‘Shahpur’, does not house original buildings. Although the fort remains, one can get a superb view of the Vagator beach.
The present fort at the site was rebuilt in 1717 by kings to protect themselves from Maratha rulers as well as Muslim rulers. The new structure of the fort was equipped with underground tunnels that ensured a safe getaway in case of an emergency. But Maratha’s persistent attack forced the Portuguese to abandon the fort in 1892.
On the north of the fort, along the estuary mouth at Chapora, traditional boat building is carried out on the riverside. North of Chapora lies Badam Church, one of the nicest sunset spots in India. It commands the hill top at the north and despite being in a ruined state, the fort remains to be a major attraction for the visitors.