Alwar, founded in 1771, is one of the most recent of the princely states of Rajasthan. The town nestles picturesquely in a valley on the Aravalli hills where lakes and woods nurture rich wildlife and is watched over by a forbidding fort high on a rocky ridge.
Alwar has some very fine palaces which were built by milking the people dry and using one-half of the state treasury. But most of the fort’s structures are extremely dilapidated and entry is severely restricted. Inside the walled city stands the grandiose late-18th-century Vinay Vilas Mahal. It is an extravagantly decorated palace fronting a large tank.
The Alwar Museum, housed in the City Palace, has a fine collection of miniature paintings, manuscripts, arms and the famous solid-silver dining table. Adjacent to the museum is a remarkable reservoir with delicate temples. Kiosks and symmetrical stairs are considered as masterpieces of Indo-Islamic architecture. These are Moosi Maharwi islamA to novo ki Chhatri and Purjan Vihar.