Mechanization a Boon or a Bane
In the 20th century, mechanization has done wonders and made life so much easier and faster. It has also made man more mobile and approachable
The fields of transport and communication have witnessed a sea change with all the mechanization. With all the new and fast means of communication, man can easily communicate with anyone, anywhere in the world, at any time. Also with the enhancement of transport facilities, man can reach any part of the world within a matter of hours. Thus, in this fast means of communication and transport, mechnization has contributed in a very big way, in making the world a small place. When once upon a time, man moved about from one place to another on foot, on cart, on horseback or, at best by a horse carriage, could man have ever even imagined this standard of speed.
Now man is enjoying the speed of scooter, car, bus, tram, train and the aeroplane to reach his destinations.
In the home also, mechanization has revolutionized the system of working in the house, and is a great asset for the housewife. Her household jobs get completed much faster than ever before. It is for this reason that the housewife of today can complete her housework and yet get a lot of time to work outside the home. That is why today we find women working in offices, schools, colleges and in all possible places they can find suitable work. With so much of an asset, mechanization has been a perfect boon for humankind.
However, the boon is not in any way without its other side of the coin, i.e. the bane. First and foremost, let us analyze as to what percentage of humankind can avail of all these advantages of the aforesaid mechanization, of all these wonders of the machine age. Even a casual study will show that, at least in India not more than an average of the 10 per cent of urban population can take advantage of these gadgets. Believe it or not in India there are still thousands of villages where people have not ever travelled in a train. Thus, I daresay that, a growth that gives advantage to just a 10 per cent of the country’s population can hardly be termed as a boon. Besides, when the majority of the 90 per cent see the 10 per cent enjoying facilities which they cannot even think of possessing, the boon loses its real sheen for the country as a whole. Regarding mechanization being a boon for the housewife yes there is no doubt that housework is no more time consuming and tiring. The housewife can complete the entire work and yet have plenty of time for pursuing a career or hobby or outings as she may like. This undoubted boon is also a bane in many respects. Due to this fast pace of life the boon of mechanization has resulted in several new problems which convert the blessing into a bane for the country at large. First and foremost the percentage of housewives who can afford all the gadgets being produced these days. It is no wonder if only about a poor 25 per cent can afford them, then, what about the status of the rest of the 75 per cent? Can an item being used by a 25 per cent ever be categorized as a boon? Besides, even the housewives, who can afford, face the music of these gadgets in another way. Their work finishing very fast, the housewife then has almost no work at home, and thus no exercise at all. For the housewife going out for work, yes, mechanization is a boon but what about those who use these gadgets and then sit at home all the time relaxing. For such affluent ladies mechanisation is a bane for, the little bit of exercise they would get during some housework is totally out. Now they have no physical work so, no exercise. With this couch potato style of life all kinds of new and unheard of disease catch up to them. All this can be indirectly traced to mechanization.
Thus, I feel that though mechanization is no doubt a boon but, it is so, for a very few people who have to handle too much load of work daily. For the rest of the women at least it is a boon with all its ill effects. Now, we have to just weigh the pros and cons of the situation as it stands to get a correct perspective, the effect in entirety. I accept that, no gifts come without their demands on mankind but, what we have to do is to weigh the effects in their totality. I personally feel that mechanization has given less to mankind and taken more in proportion. More so, as it is helping just a minuscule population its advantages cannot be taken to be large and all pervading.