Who set the first panel of blood donors?
The first panel of BLOOD DONORS was set up in 1921 by Dr. P.L. Oliver, who arranged for four volunteers from the Camberwell Division of the London Branch of the British Red Cross Society to donate their blood at King’s College Hospital. This was the beginning of the London Blood Transfusion Service, which provided a register of donors who were prepared to respond to a call for blood from any of the London hospitals in an emergency. At first the demand was small, only 26 requests for blood being made in 1924, but five years later the number had increased to 5,333.