The Careless Maid
Anita was our new maid. She was timid and jittery. She jumped in fright whenever my parents and I talked to her.
My mother had told Anita to fry a packet of frozen potato balls. I knew that Anita was very nervous because she dropped the packet twice when she was trying to open it. When the oil in the wok was sizzling, she threw in the potato balls. She was so eager to cook them that she tossed in the entire packet. The oil splattered onto her face and arms. She was in so much pain that she dropped the spatula. More oil was splattering from the wok. Anita turned off the fire immediately and tried to take the wok away from the stove. However, she screamed in pain the moment she touched the wok. She accidentally hit the wok and it went crashing to the floor. Hot oil splashed everywhere and half-cooked potato balls rolled on the floor. Anita was severely scalded.
My parents wanted to take Anita to the doctor but She was afraid to visit the doctor. They had no choice but to apply the cream on her burns. They then told her to rest in her room.