A House on Fire
Essay No. 01
It was midnight, when hands of clock join palms. There was deep silence everywhere. I was enjoying a sound sleep in my room with my younger brother. All of a sudden, I was awakened by noise of foot steps outside. It appeared as if. the people were running in the street. I got. up and peeped down from the window. I came to know that the house of my friend Roshan was ablaze. I at once hurried to the spot.
The house was completely enveloped in flames. A strong wind formed the fire. The flames leapt to sky giving out the clouds of smoke. The owner of house was beating his breast, crying “I am undone!, I have lost all !” The articles were lying scattered in the street. There was endless hurry and excitement. Many were busy in bringing buckets of water while others poured it on the fire. I, too, joined them. We tried to best to put out the fire, but all our efforts were in vain.
Soon the whole building with everything in it was burnt to ashes.
The fire brigade was rung up. In no time it was there. A crew of active men in brass helmets got to work and fire brought under control in half an hour. God be Thanked, the neighbouring houses were saved. It is said that it was all due to the carelessness of the servant who was a heavy smoker. While smoking his pipe, he dozed off to sleep. The burning ashes from pipe fell down and set fire to the bed. Soon the fire spread in the whole building.
The loss was estimated at more than five lakhs. Everyone had a sympathy for the affected family. They were shifted to a nearby house and an emergency meeting of all the elders of the colony was called. It was decided that the house will be repaired as a joint venture by people.
God save everybody from such a calamity but we have to be very vigilant to keep away such an event and when we face one face it boldly as life is another name of a struggle.
Essay No. 02
A House on Fire
Fire is that force and factor which has greatly contributed to the development of human civilization. It has helped man in many ways. It helps him to run factories, cook food and keep his home warm. It is man’s enemy also. It destroys houses, shops and lives. It is both a blessing and a curse.
Last night I was lying fast asleep. A noise suddenly woke me up. I opened the window of my room. I looked into the street. I saw many people running towards one direction. They were carrying buckets full of water. I opened the door of the house and came out. I found that the house of one of our neighbour had caught fire.
The owner of the house and all the members of his family were standing in the street. They were standing as a helpless lot. The people were trying to pull out their household things. They were throwing water and sand on the fire. They were trying to control the fire in every possible way. The flames were rising high. In the mean while the fire brigade reached there. The firemen fought bravely and brought the fire under control in half an hour.
Fortunately there was no loss of life. But there was a big loss of property. All the furniture was reduced to ashes. The doors and windows of the house were burnt. No food, no clothes could be saved. All the neighbours came forward to the rescue of the family. They contributed substantially for the relief of the family. Later on it was found that the cause of fire was short-circuiting.