The Mattancherry Palace, a magnificent monument at Kochi, was built by the Portuguese in 1557. It was built as a gift for Raja Veera Kerala Varma of Kochi in exchange for trading rights. In 1663, the Dutch ameliorated it.
The palace is built on two floors around a quadrangle, with a temple, which follows the traditional Kerala pattern known as nalu kettus (four buildings). The wooden walls of the temple contain some fine murals and paintings. The royal bedroom’ has been decorated with paintings representing the stories of the Ramayana. In the center is the Coronation Hall of Rajas. To the south is Kovinithilam (staircase room) containing murals of 18th century displaying the coronation of Rama.
The floor of the palace has been built by using a combination of egg white, coconut shell, charcoal and lime. Two of the women’s bedrooms downstairs have 19th-century murals with greater detail. The murals represent a cheerful Krishna with six hands.