It was seven o’clock in the evening. Benny and his family had just finished dinner. After clearing up the dishes, Benny switched on the computer to work on his project. His mother was busy ironing clothes and his grandparents were watching their favourite television series. His sister was revising for a test the next day.
All of a sudden, their flat was filled with darkness. They were shocked. Benny’s father ran to the mains and checked but there was nothing wrong. He looked out of the flat and realised that the entire neighbourhood had been hit by a blackout! Benny was frustrated as he had forgotten to save his work!
He hurriedly took out candles and torch-lights. He lighted the candles and put them at different places. Benny’s baby brother, frightened by the dark was crying. Benny’s grandmother tried to pacify him.
It was getting warmer by the minute and no one could do anything except for Benny’s sister who was still trying to read her notes with the dim light from the candle. Benny sat at the computer, hoping that electricity would be restored soon. Benny’s mother was furious as she had loads of clothes to iron and there were many other things to do.
It was about an hour later that the electricity came back on. Benny and his family cheered! By then, it was almost nine o’clock. Benny had to redo his project and this time, he reminded himself to save as he continued with his project work as he could not afford to redo it again.