In the year of 1945 United Nations Organization came into being as the successor of League of Nations. It began with fifty nations as its members but now it has 185 member nations accounting for almost all the countries of entire earth except Switzerland. The nations are the members of the UN General Assembly, the world body’s chief deliberate organ. All the other wings are answerable to it through annual and special periodical reports submitted for its consideration. The General Assembly, discusses the reports and gives its approvals, elects General Secretary and the judges of the International court of Justice, admits new members to the Assembly, and also elects the non-permanent members of various councils. There are Economic and Social Council, The Trusteeship council besides the International Court, General Assembly and the Security Council. The General Secretary is the Chief Administrative Office of the world body who heads the UN Secretariat. He presides over the General Assembly meetings and those of other organs of U.N.
In addition to the above main organs, the UNO has several other specialized agencies like ILO (International Labour Organization), UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), UNCTAD (United Nations Council for Trade And Development), WHO (World Health Organization), etc. These agencies help the parent body in working out agreements on various- related matters to them and in achieving different objectives and goals. WHO, for example, plans step to achieve the highest possible level of good health of the entire human population of the earth.
Fill in the blanks
- In 1945, The League of Nations was…………… by the United Nations Organization.
- With fifty nations…………… it started.
- The world body’s chief deliberate organ is……………
- The General Secretary and the judges of the International Court of Justice…………… by the General Assembly.
- ILO, UNCTAD, WHO, UNESCO etc. are the…………… of the UNO
Fillers-1. succeeded 2. as its members 3. the General Assembly 4. are elected 5. specialized agencies
Answer the following questions related to the above passage:
- How many members the General Assembly now has?
- Which country is not the members of the UNO?
- Through what the other organs of the General Assembly are answerable to it?
- Through what office the General Secretary functions?
- What does UNESCO stand for?
- The General Assembly has now 193 members.
- The other organs are answerable to the General Assembly through annual and special reports.
- The General Secretary functions through U.N. Secretariat.
- United Nations Economic Scientific and Cultural Organization.