10 Lines on “The Salt Merchant and the Ass”
- Once there was a Merchant. He had an ass.
- He used to carry bags of salt on the back of his ass. The load was always very heavy for the ass.
- One day, while crossing a stream, the ass slipped and fell into it.
- Some of the salt on its back was dissolved and the load on its beck was lessened. The ass felt happy.
- The next day, the ass intentionally fell into the stream to get its load lessened.
- The merchant understood its trick. He decided to teach it a lesson.
- He loaded the ass with cotton instead of salt.
- As the ass repeated the trick, the cotton absorbed water and became very heavy.
- The ass began to stagger under the heavy load.
- The merchant gave him a good beating. The ass learnt the lesson. He never repeated the trick.
Moral: Don’t be cunning.
Repetition is not always paying.